Hot Tub Heater Troubleshooting Tips
This Blog was posted on March 24, 2014 by HTSS.
Relaxing in your hot tub is a great way to relax. When your water temperature is running too hot or too cold, this is usually an indication of a hot tub heater problem. Learning how to spot and troubleshoot the rare problems with the electric heater in your spa can save you time, money and frustration. Here are a few telltale signs and solutions when your hot tub's water temperature issues could be linked to your hot tub heater. A common solution to problems with your spa heater is to turn it off, letting it sit for a while, then restarting the whole system. If the problem doesn't correct itself, try some of the hot tub heater troubleshooting tips below.
Water Is Too Hot
• If the water is too hot to the touch, the problem may be as simple as checking the temperature setting and adjusting the thermostat. The standard recommended water temperature is 104 degrees F.
• If the heating cycle is too long, the water temperature may continue to rise, even when the heater pump is off. To correct the problem, reduce the heating or filtration cycle.
Water Won't Reach the Desired Temperature
• If the cover is off, cold weather and a stiff breeze can prevent your hot tub from heating up properly. Try putting the cover on and waiting an hour to allow the spa heater to do its job. If it has been quite some time since you changed or cleaned your hot tub filters, this is a good time to do so.
• Check for scale build-up on the heater. Clean off the heater. If it runs like this for quite some time, it may burn out and will eventually need to be replaced.
Heater Is Not Working
• One sure sign that the heater is not working at all is if the water is lukewarm or cool to the touch. It may warm slightly after you get in, but this is often due to body heat – especially if there are several people in the spa.
• If the thermostat isn't set to a high enough temperature, the hot hub heater won't kick on. Before assuming it's broken, try adjusting the temperature setting on the thermostat and waiting a few minutes.
Is It Really the Heater?
• If you have no heat, it may well be your that your hot tub heater has run its full life cycle. The electric heater element or filament may have burned out. This can happen if you have run your spa with very little water present or no water at all. It can also be a result of running your heater with no water flow – often caused by a faulty flow pressure switch or a debris blockage.
You can order one of the hot tub heaters for your brand and model here using our Hot Spring Watkins Parts Search. If you're not comfortable with making electrical repairs, you may want to call a professional.
Hot Spring Grandee (11)
- Hot Spring Grandee Model G 1990-2007 (4)
- Hot Spring Grandee Model GG 2005-Current (5)
- Hot Spring Grandee NXT Collection Model GGN 2014- Current (2)
- Hot Spring Vista (4)
- Hot Spring Envoy (6)
- Hot Spring Aria (5)
- Hot Spring Vanguard (7)
Hot Spring Sovereign (11)
- Hot Spring Sovereign Model I 110v Convertable 1990-2007 (6)
- Hot Spring Sovereign Model II 220v 2004-Current (5)
Hot Spring Prodigy (8)
- 2014-2015 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2013 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2012 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2009-2011 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2004-2008 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2001-2003 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1998-2000 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1997 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1995-1996 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1994 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1991-1993 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1990 Prodigy Model H (0)
Hot Spring Jetsetter (10)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter Model J 1990-2007 (4)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter Model JJ 2006-Current (5)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter NXT Collection Model JJN 2014-Current (1)
- Hot Spring Highlife (1)
- Hot Spring Classic (2)
- Hot Spring Landmark (2)
- Hot Spring Alccolade (1)
- Limelight Models (21)
Hot Spot Models (16)
- Hot Spot Tempo (2)
- Hot Spot Relay (2)
- Hot Spot Rhythm (2)
- Hot Spot TX (2)
- Hot Spot SX (1)
- Hot Spot Mallorca (2)
- Hot Spot Sorrento (2)
- Hot Spot Round (2)
- Hot Spot Square Models (2)
- Hot Spot Slxtra (1)
- Hot Spot Sprint (1)
- Hot Spot Dash (1)
- Hot Spot La Palma (1)
- Hot Spot Tobago (2)
- Hot Spot Trinidad (2)
- Solana Models (2)
- Freeflow Models (7)
- Aquaterra Models (2)
- LifeSmart Models (2)
- Hot Spring Grandee (11)
- Blogs (104)
Hot Spring Spa Videos (44)
- Hot Spring Control Panel Operation (9)
- Hot Spring Spa Trouble Shoot Videos (5)
- Hot Spring Ace Startup Instructions (3)
- Hot Spring Parts Installation Videos (14)
- Hot Spring Ace Instruction Videos (10)
- Hot Spring Freshwater Chemical Instructions (7)
- Hot Spot Videos (3)
- Leisure Concepts Videos (2)
- Limelight Hot Tub Videos (7)
- Free Flow Videos (3)
- Hot Tub Helpful Tips Video (1)
- Caldera Spa Videos (7)
- Tiger River Videos (1)
- Silk Balance Videos (1)
- Hot Spring Spa Videos (44)
- Uncategorized (4)