What Causes Hot Tub Foam (and How to Fix It)
This Blog was posted on February 17, 2014 by HTSS.
Every now and then, you may come out to your hot tub and discover a giant blanket of foamy suds piled on top of the water. It can be an alarming sight to see. While the bubble bath won't hurt you, most people find it unpleasant. The main issues are to correct the problem and to hopefully determine the cause to prevent a repeat episode.
The most common cause of hot tub foaming is a foreign substance in the water. This can range from excess laundry detergent in your swimwear to a chemical reaction with lotions and hair products or using too much algaecide. Another common issue is soft water or a high pH balance.
To prevent a hot tub foam outbreak, follow these tips:
• Don't apply lotions to the skin within five or six hours of going hot tubbing.
• Carefully calculate and measure algaecide agents before adding them.
• Look for chemical solutions with "non-foaming" on the label.
• Wear long hair in a ponytail or pinned up.
• Test your pH frequently and adjust your spa chemicals as needed to find the 7.4 to 7.8 range.
• Check your calcium levels and adjust as needed to 200 to 250 ppm for acrylic basins, and 200 to 400 ppm for non-acrylics.
• Always rinse the basin well after cleaning before refilling it with water.
• Re-rinse your swimwear thoroughly by hand after laundering is complete.
• Consider installing an outdoor shower to use before entering.
There are two routes to resolving the problem, short-term and long-term.
• For immediate results, use a spa foam dispersal product, such as Remedy Anti-foam solution. It can be added to eliminate and prevent a blanket of foamy suds in your spa.
• The long-term solution is to adjust your hot tub chemicals. It can take up to 48 hours for the suds to subside. Leisure Time chemicals has two products that are effective in foam control and prevention. Calcium Booster is a non-foaming agent designed to increase your water hardness level. Use this if your home has soft water. If the culprit is your algaecide, try adding Leisure Time Spa Algaecide about once a week. This kills existing algae and prevents new strains from forming. An alternative is to drain and refill your hot tub, although it can be time-consuming and discouraging.
Hot Spring Grandee (11)
- Hot Spring Grandee Model G 1990-2007 (4)
- Hot Spring Grandee Model GG 2005-Current (5)
- Hot Spring Grandee NXT Collection Model GGN 2014- Current (2)
- Hot Spring Vista (4)
- Hot Spring Envoy (6)
- Hot Spring Aria (5)
- Hot Spring Vanguard (7)
Hot Spring Sovereign (11)
- Hot Spring Sovereign Model I 110v Convertable 1990-2007 (6)
- Hot Spring Sovereign Model II 220v 2004-Current (5)
Hot Spring Prodigy (8)
- 2014-2015 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2013 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2012 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2009-2011 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2004-2008 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 2001-2003 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1998-2000 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1997 Prodigy Model H (1)
- 1995-1996 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1994 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1991-1993 Prodigy Model H (0)
- 1990 Prodigy Model H (0)
Hot Spring Jetsetter (10)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter Model J 1990-2007 (4)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter Model JJ 2006-Current (5)
- Hot Spring Jetsetter NXT Collection Model JJN 2014-Current (1)
- Hot Spring Highlife (1)
- Hot Spring Classic (2)
- Hot Spring Landmark (2)
- Hot Spring Alccolade (1)
- Limelight Models (21)
Hot Spot Models (16)
- Hot Spot Tempo (2)
- Hot Spot Relay (2)
- Hot Spot Rhythm (2)
- Hot Spot TX (2)
- Hot Spot SX (1)
- Hot Spot Mallorca (2)
- Hot Spot Sorrento (2)
- Hot Spot Round (2)
- Hot Spot Square Models (2)
- Hot Spot Slxtra (1)
- Hot Spot Sprint (1)
- Hot Spot Dash (1)
- Hot Spot La Palma (1)
- Hot Spot Tobago (2)
- Hot Spot Trinidad (2)
- Solana Models (2)
- Freeflow Models (7)
- Aquaterra Models (2)
- LifeSmart Models (2)
- Hot Spring Grandee (11)
- Blogs (104)
Hot Spring Spa Videos (44)
- Hot Spring Control Panel Operation (9)
- Hot Spring Spa Trouble Shoot Videos (5)
- Hot Spring Ace Startup Instructions (3)
- Hot Spring Parts Installation Videos (14)
- Hot Spring Ace Instruction Videos (10)
- Hot Spring Freshwater Chemical Instructions (7)
- Hot Spot Videos (3)
- Leisure Concepts Videos (2)
- Limelight Hot Tub Videos (7)
- Free Flow Videos (3)
- Hot Tub Helpful Tips Video (1)
- Caldera Spa Videos (7)
- Tiger River Videos (1)
- Silk Balance Videos (1)
- Hot Spring Spa Videos (44)
- Uncategorized (4)